Who are we?
alder is an e-commerce, direct to consumer outdoor apparel brand that puts women and play at the centre of outdoor recreation.
We believe the outdoors should be for everyone, not the select few. alder designs long-lasting, modern pieces from size XS-6X that are fully functional and responsibly-made. Launched in 2019, alder is co-founded by Mikayla Wujec (a National Geographic Explorer and LEED-certified Sustainability Consultant) and Naomi Blackman (a Canadian marketing leader formerly of Joe Fresh, HBC and leading ad agency john st.)
What’s the opportunity?
We’re looking for a marketing team member to join us as one of our first full time employees. As a small team, you’ll be fully integrated into our operations and will receive a unique, well-rounded perspective on the impact marketing can have on a business. This role will report directly to Co-Founder Naomi Blackman.
We’re a fast paced environment with no red tape, so things can shift quickly here. We believe that great ideas come from many places - your opinion will be heard.
- Start date: TBC
- Work location: Split in-office (located in The Junction, Toronto ON - pending COVID-19 protocols) and work from anywhere.
- Hours: We operate on a ‘get the work done’ schedule, not a 9-5. Our core in-office hours are Tuesday-Thursday from 11am-4pm and we expect that outside of those hours, you’ll find the best time in your schedule to complete your work to a maximum of 40 hours/week. Fridays are ‘get outside’ days!
- Pay: Commensurate with experience.
- Experience: You may notice we’re not listing expected experience. This role is experience agnostic. We’re looking for the right fit with the team, not the “right number of years on the job”. Title & compensation will be decided based on the person we hire.
What will you do?
alder’s marketing team member will be focused on supporting FOUR key areas, listed below. This list is a starting point for discussion - we recognize that some areas may necessitate further education or managing a more specialized resource external to this role!
1) Campaigns & Growth
- Digital advertising (key focus on Facebook and Instagram) - support digital ads in market, optimizing for ROAS.
- Creative campaign planning and execution - assist in the coordination and management of our freelance creative team for photo and video shoots.
- Public Relations - liaise with external PR team, assisting where needed.
- Product testers and influencers - source and communicate with potential product testers and influencers.
- Reporting - monthly reporting on key KPIs
- Website update roadmap management - manage external teams for website development updates.
- Identify opportunities for improving online store experience.
- Website content updates - manage website updates where required (new hero content, new product pages etc.)
- Brand graphics development - brief freelance teams on creative development requests.
- Packaging & product inserts - brief freelance teams on creative development + manage new orders and packaging updates.
- Social media management - daily monitoring and posting, regular content development & light asset creation
- Email marketing - developing email marketing plan + creative asset development where possible
- Survey development - creating surveys for ongoing engagement with our community
You’ll have the opportunity to learn about additional areas of the business based on your interests, including:
- Product design and development
- Customer Experience
- Operations & Logistics
- You’ve checked us out and believe in what we’re building.
- You love clothes, the outdoors, sustainability and inclusivity.
- You take initiative and are hungry to learn, grow and lead.
- You have an eye for creativity and an understanding of brand building.
- You have worked to optimize CPA, ROAS, CAC & LTV.*
- You are a self-starter + self-disciplined. We offer flexible working arrangements so we expect that all employees will be able to manage their workload outside of a traditional 9-5 structure.
- You thrive with uncertainty. Startups are full of surprises! This role probably isn’t right if you prefer the same structure day in and day out.
- You’re ‘digitally savvy’ - you’ve worked within MS Office (Word, Excel), Numbers, Keynote and Pages, Google Drive and Docs, Dropbox etc. have worked with or are comfortable picking up tools like Slack, Monday, Photoshop (light) etc.
- You love dogs. We’re a dog friendly environment, but if you’re allergic or fearful, don’t hesitate to let us know so we can accommodate.
- *if you haven’t, your first instinct was to Google and teach yourself.
If this sounds like a good fit, please email us the following package:
- Max. one page cover letter highlighting your background and potential fit in this role.
- Current resume :).
- If you want to include any examples of relevant work - please do! (optional).
Please combine all three documents into ONE PDF. file and email us at email@example.com with the subject line: alder Marketing Role - YOUR FIRST NAME, LAST NAME.
Applications close November 25th at 5pm EST and only applicants selected for a further interview will be contacted.
Thanks so much & happy recreating :)
- alder team <3.